Important: After lengthy consideration I have decided to not manage any races in 2016 and beyond. If you have an upcoming race that has already been confirmed, I will gladly fulfill my commitment. Please see the pricing page for information on other tracks that are available for rent along the Wasatch Front.
Derby4Rent.com offers a state-of-the-art pinewood derby experience for Cub Scout packs in Salt Lake County and northern Utah County.
- 4-lane, 42-foot aluminum track with electronic timer
- Setup and take down of track
- Computerized tracking of results
- Big-screen projection of race results and instant replays
- An emcee to run the race and provide race commentary
What you need to provide
- An indoor 50 x 10 foot space for the track (suggested room layout)
- Car inspection and check-in
- Spectator viewing area (i.e. chairs)
- 110 volt power within 40 feet of the track
- Tables for staging the cars
- Awards/Trophies - see our awards section for ideas
If you have never organized a pinewood derby before go to our organizer helps section on our tips page.
How races are run
- The kids race their cars - rather than watching an adult race their car
- Each car races the same number of times in each lane
- The computer will have each car race with as many different cars as possible
- Cars will be judged on how fast they are, not on what place they finished (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th)
- Times for each heat will be added up; the car with the lowest time will be the winner
- Races typically take about 45 minutes for 25 racers